Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community in Perth
Information on groups, social clubs and links for gay men and women in Australia...
There are a number of online resources and publications for the LGBT community in Perth, with information on restaurants, hotels, bars and events:
LGBT Associations and Support Groups
- Equity Rules: offers information and assistance regarding the law and legal rights of the LGBT community
- PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: assistance to parents, family members and friends
- Police Department Gay Lesbian Transgender Liaison: Community Diversity Unit
- Same Sex Domestic Abuse Group
- The Gay and Lesbian Singers of Western Australia: four part harmony choir
Gay and Lesbian Community Service: provides support, information and resources to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community of Western Australia. Established in 1974, GLCS is a non- profit organisation which focuses on providing counselling and other essential services.
- Gay and Lesbian Community Service
At: City West Lotteries House, Room 1, 2 Delhi Street, West Perth 6005
Tel: 08 9420 7201 / 1800 184 527
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Retirement Association Inc. (GRAI): voluntary community based organisation which offers support and works towards improving the quality of life for older people of diverse sexualities and gender identities.
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Retirement Association Inc. (GRAI)
Postal Address: PO Box 715, Mt Lawley WA 6929
Tel: 0422 654 244
Gay and Lesbian Equality WA: promotes the equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people throughout Western Australia and hold regular rallies to push for the legalisation of gay marriage.
The Freedom Centre: run by young people for young people (under 26), it offers information, peer support, chat forums, drop in sessions, workshops and events.
WA AIDS Council: offers a range of services including support, education and counselling in the prevention and treatment of HIV, and the care of people living with HIV/AIDS.
- WA AIDS Council
Tel: 08 9482 0000
Pride WA Festival is held each October and is one of Perth's most vibrant and exiting events drawing crowds of around 80,000 to the Northbridge area to celebrate with Western Australia's LGBT community. The festival includes a parade of over fifty floats, has many cultural events and is followed by a huge after party.
- Pride WA Festival
Tel: 08 6210 1350
- Swanbourne Nudist Beach: nudist/gay beach located approximately 15 minutes' drive from the city at Swanbourne
- Floreat Beach: discrete gay and lesbian beach located on the northern beaches. Plenty of parking and changing rooms
Civil Partnerships in Perth
Same-sex marriages are not currently recognised in Australia. However, in 1984 the Equal Opportunity Act was passed, ensuring that lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people/couples are not discriminated against in business or a variety of other situations. In more recent times, cohabiting gay couples have been awarded the same legal rights as heterosexual couples, although no formal partnership register yet exists. Same-sex couples are allowed to jointly adopt children.